11th EViR Meeting – 15 & 18 October 2021
The EViR Round Table was open to Forum Members and took place on Friday 15th and Monday 18th October 2021, 12:00-16:00 BST. Under normal circumstances, the Forum would have met in Sweden, however, due to COVID-19 pandemic, the meeting was held virtually and hosted by Forte.
Members from 24 organisations had registered to the meeting and Michael welcomed those organisations that had joined an EViR meeting for the first time or had not been able to join the meeting for a while.
Day 1 – 15 October 2021
- 12:00 – 12:15 BST – Welcome to the 11th EViR meeting – Michael Bowdery (HCRW).
- 12:15 – 12:35 BST – Host welcome to EViR meeting – Stella Jacobson (Forte) as the representative of the hosting organisation will share Forte’s funding approach and how research is delivered in Sweden.
- 12:15 – 12:55 BST – Future of research funding – The session will be around what funders are doing going forward, how they look at megatrends and immediate impact with long term implications shaping how we will be working. Olle Lundberg (Forte’s Secretary General) will provide a strategic perspective, looking to the future, a holistic approach and reflect about COVID-19.
5 mins break
- 13:00 – 14:00 BST – Panel discussion. Each panel member will provide their view on the Future of Research Funding (3-5 mins each) followed by a discussion. The panel will consist of:
- Moderator: Michael Bowdery (HRCW)
- Funder: Olle Lundberg (Forte) and Shawn Dolley (BMGF consultant)
- Regulator: Matt Westmore (HRA)
- Global: Garry Aslanyan (ESSENCE/WHO)
- Citizen perspective: Tina Coldham.
- 14:00 – 14:30 BST – Break
- 14:30 – 16:00 BST – Working ways of the Forum – Dottie Goble (NIHR). This session will explore the benefits of working groups, interest groups and other networking EViR activities. There will be updates on:
- Dissemination and implementation group activities (Barbara van der Linden (ZonMw))
- Audit tool (Kelly Dunham (PCORI), Anne Cody (HRB) and Emma Small (HCRW))
- Pre-clinical group (Merel Ritskes-Hoitinga (SYRCLE)).
- RoR (Amanda Jane Blatch-Jones (NIHR)) – Brief overview about how to navigate the needs of funders’ involvement and engagement in Research on Research. Opportunities to make the RoR registry more engaging and interactive for funders of research (e.g. next steps).
- 16:10 – 16:40 BST – EViR Social – We hope you can join us to relax, socialise and have a drink with other EViR members.
Day 2 – 18 October
- 12:00 – 12:30 BST – Waste in COVID research – Paul Glasziou (Bond University Australia). Discussion on some of the learnings from COVID and how those built on achievements of the last 6 years.
- 12:30 – 12:50 BST – Cochrane – Karla-Soares Weiser (Cochrane). Update on the 14th October Cochrane Convenes Plenary Session, discussions and learning.
- 12:50 – 13:00 BST – Break
- 13:00 – 14:00 BST – Sustainability – Elaine Williams and Helen Payne (NIHR). Discussion on how the Forum works and how research that funding organisations fund feeds into that. The session will consist of a short presentation about sustainability and examples of some funders’ initiatives followed by a discussion on how members address sustainability.
- 14:00 – 14:30 – BST – Break
- 14:30 – 16:00 BST -EViR Funders’ Forum: past achievements, new beginnings – Michael Bowdery (HCRW). This is an opportunity to hear about EViR outputs, achievements and activities, the transition to EViR membership and plans for the coming year.