5th EViR Funders’ Forum meeting May 2018
On May 16 and 17, 2018, the Ensuring Value in Research (EViR) Funders’ Forum held its 4th meeting in Cardiff, United Kingdom, hosted by Health Care Research Wales (HCRW) and co-conveners National Institute for Health Research (NIHR), Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI), ZonMw and Health Research Board (HRB) Ireland.
- 10.45 – 11.15 Sign in and refreshments
- 11.15 – 13.00 Introduction session for newcomers
- 13.00 – 14.00 Lunch and networking
- 14.00 – 14.15 Welcome to Wales and introduction
- 14.15 – 15.00 Principle 1: Health-related research agendas and priorities should be set with the meaningful involvement of those who will use and be affected by health-related research.
- 15.00 – 15.30 Principle 5: Studies should be registered in an appropriate, design-relevant publicly accessible registry at study inception whenever possible.
- 15.30 – 15.45 Break and refreshments
- 15.45 – 16.30 Principle 10: Research knowledge that can lead to benefit should be effectively disseminated to end users. Where appropriate, the usage of new knowledge should be supported and facilitated.
- 16.30 – 17.15 Wider updates from the floor relevant to the group
- 17.15 Close
- 9.30 Welcome Sharing experiences and developing ideas on the guiding principles
- 09.45 Introduction to the principles
- Principle 2: Research should only be funded if set in the context of one or more existing systematic reviews of what is already known or an otherwise robust demonstration of a research gap.
- Principle 9: New evidence should be placed in the context of existing knowledge to inform appropriate interpretation and use of findings. When appropriate and when it will add value to evidence users, systematic reviews should be updated following primary research.
- 10.30 Breakout sessions (click on remote access links for breakouts only)
- Policy options and conceptual model
- Wider ecosystem
- Novel approaches to evidence reviews
- Implications for pre-clinical research
- Refreshments during breakout
- 11.45 Feedback and conclusions / next steps
- 12.15 – 13.00 Lunch and networking
- 13.00 Introduction – Principle 7: All studies should report methods and findings in full, following credible and justifiable reporting guidelines. This applies irrespective of the nature of the findings and whether the study completed as planned.
- 13.45 Plenary issues and discussion
- Exploring delivering differently – An open research platform
- Publication time lag vs. the WHO joint statement
- Ensuring a balanced portfolio alongside scientific quality
- Refreshments and break
- 14.45 Emerging priorities and next steps
- 15.15 – 16.00 Ways of working -Opportunities for collaborating and engaging more widely Membership update
- 16.00 – 16.30 Next steps and meeting close
- 16.30 Close